Do you see the menu on the left ?? If not Click Here
| TexasCook Home | FeedBack |
On a quiet Sunday Afternoon, everything's closed and the town is resting.
On January 14, 1912 M.H.
Carpenter and Associates of Carpenter
Electric Company of Wichita Falls was granted a 25 year franchise
to operate an electric light, power plant and ice factory at Electra.
By February 1913 they got a contract to furnish street lights for a
year and by mid 1913 with new machinery, they were ready
to offer "day service". Troubles followed, sellouts, another attempt
at a local power plant, but alas
it was not until 1939 that
a successful municipal light plant was
established through the assistance of government programs of the
time and it has proved satisfactory. It was expanded in 1952, serves
90% of the residents and its' revenue aids the city budget. Not until
1964 was the rate changed from the initial rate.
City Hall on the same quiet Sunday Afternoon
Locally owned and operated
since August 1907. The phone office was
in the crowded City Ave. Barbershop (1 phone). Ode Moody, age 19
was the operator. The repairman lived in Harrold and serviced both
places. In late 1909 the phone lines were extended to the Waggoner
Ranch and to Iowa Park and had connections to long distance.
Many disasters, fires and
storms slowed the progress of the phone
company. D.M. "Dink" Robb had been employed by his father in many
phases of the business and in 1945 his father retired. In 1958 "Dink"
was in full charge and has continued to run an efficient service.
A small gas plant was built
and installed by W.P. Lincoln and some
associates, but soon was sold to the Lone Star Gas Company.
In the early days the oil companies ran lines to their employees'
homes from the wells, furnishing them "wet gas".
The Electra Star
In 1920 W.C. Steward, an
experienced newsman and Karl Mader
bought the "Electra Leader" and renamed it the Star. They improved
the equipment and writing and gave The News good competition.
Mader, in 1934, sold his
interest to Stewart and move to California.
Mrs. Stewart took a greater part in improving the paper. After Sheldon's
death in 1953 they bought The Electra News and combined the two
as the News-Star. In 1959 the Stewarts retired after 39 years of
publications, selling it to L.A. Reddell of Llano, who published it
only 18 months before he sold it to E.D. Bingham in 1962.
The United Methodist Church
We also have Baptist, Catholic, and all the majors.
| TexasCook Home | FeedBack
Copyright © 2001-2005
All Rights Reserved